The Health Sciences Library is pleased to offer extended library access (ELA) as a service to our visitors. ELA refers to pre-approved access to the library outside of normal library operating hours, and requires an application for pre-authorized card swipe setup. This service will be available as soon as Monday, August 30th.
Special note for library visitors who currently have access to the 3rd floor Medical Student Zone: please do not apply for extended library access. All previously communicated Medical Student Zone access protocols remain in place and unchanged.
Who Can Request ELA
Individuals in the health sciences colleges (Colleges of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Optometry, Pharmacy, Public Health, Veterinary Medicine and School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences) and others who need access to the library outside of normal library operating hours can request ELA.
Medical students with access to the HSL's Medical Student Zone should not request ELA.
How to Request ELA
- Review the ELA guidelines and policies on this page. By requesting ELA access, you are agreeing to follow all guidelines and policies. Failure to follow protocols will result in the loss of ELA and possibly loss of library access altogether.
- Complete and submit the ELA Request Form. Medical students with access to the HSL's Medical Student Zone should not request ELA. Applicants will receive an automated reply acknowledging receipt of the request form.
- The HSL will strive to process your request within 7 business days, so please plan accordingly. Response times may be slightly longer during periods of heavy volume, such as the beginning of a semester.
- You will be notified via email (from email@example.com) that your ELA request has been approved. Access will automatically be added to your BuckID.
ELA is a privilege, and all university, security and library guidelines and policies must be observed. Failure to follow protocols will result in the loss of ELA and possibly loss of library access altogether.
Guidelines are in place for the safety and security of all library visitors. University security personnel will be walking the building throughout extended library hours. There are also security camera(s) in the building. Library visitors must follow all university, security and library rules at all times.
- Each library visitor must swipe him/her/themself in to the library for ELA entry. Do not swipe others in, or allow others to swipe you in. No "tailgating" (following someone in and/or holding the door open for others) is allowed under any circumstances.
- ELA will not be available during some university holidays and breaks. Availability exceptions will be emailed in advance via firstname.lastname@example.org to approved ELA visitors.
- ELA will not be available on Saturdays on which there is a home football game. Availability exceptions will be emailed in advance via email@example.com to approved ELA visitors.
- Only study spaces on the library's 3rd floor will be open during ELA. Visitors must not access any other floors in Prior Hall during ELA.
- Approved extended access requests for academic year 2021–2022 will expire on August 21, 2022, or upon graduation or other ending affiliation with Ohio State, whichever comes first.
ELA Protocol at Library Closing Time
If you are approved for ELA and you are in the library at the end of normal operating hours (i.e., at closing time), you must first exit the library and then re-enter once library staff indicates ELA re-entry may begin. This protocol applies even if you are already in the library's 3rd floor study spaces. Visitors with access to the Medical Student Zone who wish to continue studying must proceed to the Medical Student Zone and remain there until 15 minutes after closing.
- Follow all closing announcements and instructions from library staff.
- Gather all your belongings to exit the library.
- Proceed to the library lobby (the space by the 1st floor vending machines) and wait there until library staff announces that ELA re-entry is permitted.
- Swipe to re-enter the library.
- Only study spaces on the library's 3rd floor will be open during ELA hours. Visitors must not access any other floors in Prior Hall during ELA.
Failure to follow protocols will result in the loss of ELA and possibly loss of library access altogether.