In support of The Ohio State University's ongoing efforts to transform scholarly publishing and alleviate barriers such as article processing charges (APCs) and expand opportunities for all Ohio State faculty, staff, and students, the Health Sciences Library and University Libraries provide support to cover journal article publication fees through a variety of open access publishing agreements and other institutional memberships described below.
Current Open Access Agreements
PLOS All-In Unlimited Publishing Agreement
- The Ohio State University Libraries and the Health Sciences Library have entered into a three-year Unlimited Publishing Agreement with the Public Library of Science (PLOS), the Center for Research Libraries (CRL), and the NorthEast Research Libraries (NERL) to provide uncapped, no-fee publishing in all PLOS journals for corresponding authors affiliated with Ohio State upon article acceptance. The three-year agreement begins on October 1, 2021, and ends on December 31, 2024.
- For more information, please visit the PLOS FAQ page.
Taylor & Francis Read and Publish Agreement
- The Ohio State University Libraries and Taylor & Francis Group have entered into a read and publish agreement. Under this three-year agreement (2020 through 2022), Ohio State will have ongoing access to Taylor & Francis's collection of more than 2,300 journals and Open Access publishing costs of articles published by corresponding authors affiliated with Ohio State upon article acceptance in Taylor & Francis journals will be covered.
- For more information, please visit the Taylor & Francis FAQ page.
Wiley Hybrid Open Access Agreement
- OhioLINK has negotiated an upgraded agreement with Wiley that offers Open Access publishing benefits for corresponding authors at no cost. Beginning March 1, 2022 and continuing through December 31, 2023, corresponding authors affiliated with Ohio State upon acceptance will have the ability to publish Open Access journal articles in more than 1,400 hybrid journals published by Wiley at no additional cost to either the author or the institution.
- For more information, please visit the Wiley FAQ page.
Cambridge University Press Read & Publish Agreement
- OhioLINK has entered into a three-year Read & Publish deal with Cambridge University Press. Under this three-year agreement, Ohio State will have access to all 400+ journals published by Cambridge University Press and corresponding authors affiliated with Ohio State upon article acceptance will have unlimited Open Access publishing benefits at no additional charge to either the author or the institution. The three-year agreement begins on January 1, 2022 and ends on December 31, 2024.
- For more information, please visit the Cambridge University Press FAQ page.
Royal Society Read & Publish Agreement
- The Ohio State University Libraries and the Royal Society entered into a Read and Publish agreement in 2021 and renewed the agreement through 2023. The agreement includes Ohio State's access to Royal Society journals, while also supporting Open Access publishing for corresponding authors affiliated with Ohio State at article submission.
- For more information, please visit the Royal Society FAQ page.
Institute of Physics (IOP) Open Access Agreement
- OhioLINK has negotiated an upgrade agreement with the Institute of Physics (IOP) that offers full access to IOP journals and Open Access publishing benefits for corresponding authors at no cost. Beginning January 1, 2023 and continuing through December 31, 2025, corresponding authors at Ohio State can publish unlimited Open Access articles in all IOP journals that offer Open Access publishing with the exception of the American Astronomical Society (AAS) journals at no cost to the author and no additional cost to the institution.
- For more information, please visit the IOP FAQ page.
De Gruyter Read & Publish Agreement
- The Ohio State University Libraries and De Gruyter have entered into a Read and Publish agreement that offers full access to De Gruyter journals and Open Access publishing benefits for corresponding authors at no cost. Beginning January 1, 2023 and continuing through December 31, 2025, corresponding authors affiliated with Ohio State upon acceptance can publish unlimited Open Access articles in De Gruyter journals that offer Open Access publishing at no cost to the author.
- For more information, please visit the De Gruyter FAQ page.
Other Publication Support
BMJ Case Reports Institutional Fellowship
- BMJ Case Reports is a peer-reviewed collection of case articles and reports from many countries in all disciplines that healthcare professionals, researchers, and others can use to easily find clinically important information on common and rare conditions. The Health Sciences Library has created an institutional fellowship for BMJ Case Reports so that researchers at the university and Wexner Medical Center can submit new cases to the journal free of charge.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the fellowship code.
Nucleic Acids Research Institutional Membership
- The Health Sciences Library maintains an institutional membership with Nucleic Acids Research. As a result, OSU affiliated corresponding authors are entitled to a 50% discount off of the article processing charge (APC) to publish in NAR.
- This program is being discontinued at the end of 2022, articles accepted before the end of the year should be eligible.
- Contact email@example.com for assistance.
Select Open Access Organizations and Resources
DOAJ: The Directory of Open Access Journals
- Designed for authors who are exploring publishing their research as open access. Authors can review journal titles by subject area and learn which publishers charge author fees for publishing their works as open access.
SPARC: the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition
- An alliance of libraries and academic organizations supporting systems for research and education that are open by default and equitable by design.
- SPARC Author Addendum is a form used to amend standard publisher agreements, allowing you to retain rights to deposit your article in a non-commercial depository or to use your article in the classes you teach.
Big Ten Academic Alliance
- Big Ten Academic Alliance Universities are among the national leaders in promoting greater author control over the dissemination of their research. The faculty senates of twelve Big Ten Academic Alliance universities have commended to their colleagues that they use the Big Ten Academic Alliance Authors Addendum when assigning rights to a prospective publisher.
- Aggregates and analyses publisher open access policies from around the world and provides summaries of publisher copyright and open access archiving policies on a journal-by-journal basis.