Medical Heritage Center
The Medical Heritage Center provides an avenue and environment for scholars to publish works on topics of historical medical significance. The Center helps secure funding for publications, conducts hands-on research, provides opportunities for guest articles to appear in Center publications, and serves as a launching pad for newly published works.
The MHC is currently accepting applications through July 5, 2021, for the George W. Paulson, MD, Scholar-in-Residence program. Due to COVID considerations, applicants must be located in the Columbus, OH area. For application package requirements and more details, please see the documents attached at the bottom of this page.
The Medical Heritage Center (MHC) established a Scholars-in-Residence program in 1998. The program allows a scholar to spend up to a year within the MHC to use its resources in order to research and publish in health sciences history.
Scholars are recruited and selected on an annual basis by members of the MHC Advisory Committee. Scholars can come from a variety of backgrounds and provide demonstrated need for the use of MHC collections. Program participants receive dedicated space within the Center and a stipend to complete their work.
The George W. Paulson, MD, Scholar-in-Residence Program honors the memory of George W. Paulson, MD — long-time MHC scholar, founding MHC member, and extraordinary physician and local historian.
If you have questions about the Scholars-in-Residence program, please email email@example.com.
The publications featured are for sale from the Medical Heritage Center (MHC). They were written by MHC Scholars-in-Residence.
An Extraordinary Surgeon: James Fairchild Baldwin, M.D. 1850-1936
The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Volume III, 1998
William Thorthon, M.D. Gentleman of the Enlightenment
Arthur G. James Surgeon with a Dream
John Howell Janeway Upham, M.D., 1871-1960: The Survival Years
The Second Blessing: Columbus Medicine and Health The Early Years
Charles Austin Doan and the Development of The Ohio State University Medical Center