Medical Heritage Center Gifts and Donations
The Medical Heritage Center (MHC) was founded in 1997 with the mission to collect, preserve and promote the rich health sciences history of the central Ohio region. Since its inception, the MHC has enjoyed the support of its founding partners, The Ohio State University Medical Center and the Columbus Medical Association (CMA), as well as the generosity of individuals dedicated to supporting the Center’s mission through financial donations.
If you would like to help the Medical Heritage Center in its mission through a financial gift, there are several options available to you.
Financial Gifts through OSU
For more information about how you can help preserve our local medical history and share it with future generations through a financial gift, please contact Judith Wiener, Associate Director for Special Collections and Outreach, at (614) 292-9273.
To give to the Medical Heritage Center through The Ohio State University development web site, please select an endowment fund number below:
- 640982–The John C. Burnham Lecture Series Fund in the History of Medicine/Science: Established August 30, 2000, by his wife, Marjorie Burnham, through The Foundation. Income is used by the Department of History in collaboration with the Medical Heritage Center–Prior Health Sciences Library to sponsor the annual John C. Burnham Lecture.
- 601382–Coleman Memorial Alcove Fund: Established October 3, 1991, from the estate of Marietta Comly in memory of Dr. N.R. Coleman. Income purchases rare books, medical artifacts and/or furnishings for the Coleman Memorial Alcove in the Health Sciences Library.
- 601383–Nathaniel R. Coleman Library of Medical Literature: Established October 6, 1913, with a donation of 538 volumes and cash from Sarah J. Coleman, wife of Dr. Coleman, and Marietta Comly. Income purchases books on medicine.
- 311336–Friends of Nursing History Fund: Supports various projects and activities in the Medical Heritage Center at the Health Sciences Library, related to the preservation and archiving of nursing history in Central Ohio.
- 305434–Health Sciences Library Medical Heritage Fund: Supports the John Prior Health Sciences Library Historic Preservation Area.
- 644925–Paul S. Metzger, M.D. and Lee Metzger Medical Heritage Center Endowment Fund: Established March 1, 2002, by the Metzgers through The Foundation. Income supports the Medical Heritage Center’s historic collections. If need ceases, income supports Prior Health Sciences Library’s rare book collection.
- 640820–Barbara Van Brimmer Endowment Fund: Established September 22, 2004, by family, friends and colleagues in her memory. Distribution supports the Prior Health Sciences Library, specifically benefiting the librarians and/or students in library and information science interested in preservation training and education.
- 607561–The James V. Warren, M.D. Medical Humanities Fund: Established May 1, 1998, by friends and colleagues of the late Dr. Warren, professor emeritus. Income supports medical humanities education, research and programs in the Health Sciences Library.
- 607724–The Robert M. Zollinger Legacy Endowment: Established July 7, 1995, by family and friends. Income supports the preservation and availability of the collection of writings, materials for research and memorabilia of Dr. Zollinger, which is part of the Health Sciences Library's historic collection.
Checks made payable to "The Ohio State University Foundation" can be mailed to:
The Ohio State University Foundation
1480 West Lane Avenue
Columbus, OH 43221
Please indicate the fund number in the memo line of your check from those listed above.
Financial Gifts through the Columbus Medical Association Foundation
Please visit the Columbus Medical Association Foundation to contribute to the Medical Heritage Center.
Checks made payable to the "Columbus Medical Association Foundation" can be mailed to:
Columbus Medical Association Foundation
c/o Ann Eliot
1390 Dublin Rd
Columbus, OH 43215
** Please indicate “Medical Heritage Center Fund” in the memo line of your check.
The Medical Heritage Center also accepts historical material gifts that fit within our collection development policy and scope. For more information about our policy or to make a donation, please contact Kristin Rodgers, Collections Curator, at (614) 292-9966.