August 22, 2018
- You asked for them—water bottle filling stations! In August/September, bottle filling stations with clean, filtered water will be installed on HSL floors 1-5.
- External wall repairs for Prior Hall-- These repairs, which began in July, will likely continue into September. Hopefully this work will prevent future water leaks!
- Emptying and removing the 4th floor compact stacks—The failing mechanical stacks will be emptied by the end of August and will be removed over the following week. With this change, all print collections, including circulating books will be available on the 3rdfloor. If you need help finding a book during this time, please see the first floor Public Service Desk staff.
- New meeting rooms in place of compact stacks—The compact stacks area will be renovated. Meeting and conference spaces for Prior Hall building partners will be constructed, likely beginning in September.
- Consolidating collections and making room for additional study seats on the 3rd floor—Some static shelving units will be replaced by new quiet study seating.
- Additional seating on the first floor—new seats will be added on the south end of first floor, near Global Health. This work will be done once the 3rd floor is complete.
Dealing with the Noise
- Noise levels will vary with each of these projects. For additional information and expected dates/times, watch this site, signs in the entryway, and signs or flat panels on the impacted floors.
- Consider studying on the 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor behind the elevators and in study rooms, in room 400 or the 460B Computer Lab on the 4thfloor (when not booked for a class or training; especially evenings and weekends) and in room 580 on the 5thfloor.
- Ear plugs are available for free at the first floor service desk or bring your personal headphones.
Piloting New Hours This Fall
- You asked for it—earlier Sunday hours! Beginning Sunday, September 9, the HSL will test opening at 10am (instead of Noon). We will be tracking visitors during these hours to determine if we will maintain this Sunday opening schedule in the Spring.
- Closing some home football Saturdays—We are also piloting closing on a few home football Saturdays this year. Due to low visitor counts and parking challenges for visitors and staff, we are going to test closing on three Saturdays in September when we are not open for extended exam prep. This includes September 1, 8, and 22.
- We also heard your requests for extra café hours! We are working with the Caffeine Element management on potential new extended weekday evening and Sunday afternoon hours. Watch our website and Caffeine Element signs for more information as the academic year kicks in.